Monday 27 May 2013

What we love about washable nappies

Thanks to Rae Vacher Lowe for the baby in nappy pic! Thanks to Rae Vacher Lowe for the baby in nappy pic!

I loved using washable nappies. I loved that I was saving lots of money, that I wasn't throwing away disposables into a landfill site and I especially loved that I knew that I was only putting natural fabrics on my baby's bottom.

Recently I asked our Facebook likers what they loved about washable nappies. I hope these quotes inspire you to use washable nappies with your baby or if you know someone who needs convincing. Perhaps sharing this with them will help them see how great they are.

Sonia says she loves "to look at them on the washing line" and "to fold them, put the extra padding in, the liner and roll them neatly piled up on the shelf ready for use!" I have to agree, I remember a great feeling of satisfaction seeing a clean pile of nappies ready to go. I'd pile them with my favourites at the top with not so great ones at the bottom. I tried so many brands that I did have favourites!

Melanie  says  "I like the money saving but also not ever running out & having to rush to the shops to stock up. It's also one less thing to be reliant on the supermarkets for." For families wanting to shop local and not rely on supermarkes or super chemists this is a great reason to go real.

Tots Bots Nappies

For anyone who thought that using real nappies was harder than disposable here's what Ani  says "Apart from all the environmental obvious stuff, washables are actually easier! No phaffing about having to choose sizes or a different brand if my brand isn't in stock. One original decision. Done. Bought 20 & so I can even go a couple of days without doing a wash. As far as I'm concerned, washables are the lazy option!"



One thing I notice when I hold a baby in a disposable is the smell from when the wee hits the super-absorbent gel.  It's also VERY obvious when you have a bin load, as noticed by Rachel "no 'disposable' smell - if you switched for a day you would def notice it! - no poo stinking out my bin on sunny days, no nappy mountain taking 500 years to decay, cute and oh so lovely to pat a cloth bum".  Kerry concurs and also mentions a not very nice hazard with disposables in her bin "Disposable smell horrible too- if I used one my husband would moan about a "funny" smell. I also hated disposing of a dirty nappy- maggots in wheelie bin!"

Cloth lovers know that their babies are no more likely to get nappy rash than babies in disposables, Karin "I always found my babies got less nappy rash with washables. "

When you choose cloth you know what you are putting next to your babies sensitive skin. Here Sarah's agrees that cloth is "Kinder to bottoms. Put my daughter in disposables for a couple of days a few months ago and she has scars on her legs now from how sore she got. They are fading but makes you think about the chemicals in them."

Even if it's not for your first baby, it's never too late to start, as Lorna can testify "I have to agree there really are lots of reasons to go cloth, i suppose our main one was 'money' ok it may be a bigger outlay initially but so so worth it, i just wish i had used cloth with my other 3"



And to summarise here's Hannah's opinion "No leaks. No smells. Saves money. We use washable wipes too. Saves LOADS."

Washable nappies are really easy, with a bit of experimenting you too can love using cloth for your baby. We offer nappy demonstrations in both our stores at your convenience, but if you want to chat on the phone we're happy to do that too. Or watch our video's to get you started.

~ Eva

1 comment:

  1. [...] Noa Noa Miniature Baby Clothing Toys Carriers Furniture Gear Pushchairs Nappies Toiletries Books  Etc Gift  Ideas Sale Home > Blog Home > Born blog > For the journey > Why do mothers need to talk? by Naomi Staden ← What we love about washable nappies [...]

    ReplyDelete