Thursday 28 November 2013

Introducing a new website for Stokey parents

Georgina and I moved to the Stoke Newington area as kids in 1977. Since there has been a massive transformation in the range of shops, restaurants and of course population of the area. It's now a great place for professionals to live, who transform from couples into families. For those new parents, finding out what's on offer has just gotton a whole lot easier thanks to a new website called www.stokeyparents.com.

Layout 1

Jenna, the founder of the website, wanted us to share the website to our Stokey mums who we hope will find it a useful resorce:

We moved to Stokey a year ago... I was the size of Moby Dick and spent much of my free time waddling up and down Church Street dodging the onslaught of Bugaboos.

I’d never known a place so populated by families with young children or so bursting with activity. Yet throughout the later stages of my pregnancy and afterwards, when our baby son arrived, I was struck by the effort it took to find out what was happening to keep us entertained. I visited so many websites and trawled so many community notice boards that my eyes spun.

Our son is 10-months-old now. It has taken this long to get my mojo back after those crazy months with a newborn and I wanted a project to engage my brain again and to contribute something of worth to a community which has made me feel so welcome.

And so Stokeyparents.com was born. It’s a website which features listings for babies, toddlers and bigger kids and an ‘at a glance’ calendar to help you plan your week. We (my mummy friends and I) have visited local cafes and restaurants to bring you honest reviews of food, service and accessibility for babies and children. I’ve begun the long process of collating Ofsted summaries of local nurseries and schools so you can make informed choices about childcare and education and have created a local news page and blog in a bid to entertain and inform. There’s also a forum to enable you to chat to other local parents and give away, swap or sell items you no longer need.

If your bun is still in the oven, the site enables you to meet other local parents-to-be and it features links to pregnancy fitness, advice and birth preparation too. I hope you’ll find it useful.

There’s a reason Stokey has become the Nappy Valley of North London. I can’t think of a more vibrant, friendly or attractive place to bring up a family. I hope Stokeyparents soaks up all that community spirit and presents all the area has to offer families in a clear and engaging format – but I’ll let you be the judge of that!

Check out our Facebook page ‘stokeyparents’ for regular updates and please enjoy and make good use of the website and give us a shout if there are new things we can add to make your life as a local parent easier.

Jenna - Editor Stokey Parents

No comments:

Post a Comment