Tuesday 6 January 2015

Seeing the world through your baby's eyes

By Guest Blogger Kerry Secker

With an extensive career in childcare spanning over 15 years, Kerry Secker has established Kerry Cares Parenting - a professional service that offers advice and hands-on support to parents and carers with all aspects of baby/childcare and parenting, from a gentle, child-centric perspective. Here, Kerry tackles some of those difficult times in day to day life that parents may find difficult...




Re-organising your kitchen cupboards

What baby thinks: These cupboards are such fun! They are just STUFFED with exciting things to play with, explore and drool all over. They make the most amazing sound when bashed on the tiles! Hmmm, which one shall I go for, the Creuset is a lovely bright colour or mummy’s favourite China tea set as it is so pretty.

Quick fix: Instead of having this endless and pointless battle over the favourite handmade china set Granny gave you, move your most precious goods to a higher cupboard or put a good lock on it. Fill a drawer or cupboard with lots of things they can play with and explore or have a basket of old kitchen equipment. Everyone will be saner and happier!


Having to hear their own voice in a restaurant/church/insert own place where hushed tones are appropriate.

What babies think: WOW this place is amazing but why is it so quiet? The adults, for once, are not in my face and chatting to me. Instead they have their game faces on and are staring blankly at something in the distance that I can’t quite make out. I know, I will entertain and delight them with by serenading them by practising my vocal ranges or my best rendition of “Let It Go” from Frozen.

Quick fix: Babies and children (and let’s be honest some adults!) do not understand where hushed tones are appropriate. For them, your attention is elsewhere and they can pick up on how tense you are by every noise they make. Most places where hushed tones are required are dull and quite frankly boring to babies and young children and they just want to get back to what they do best, playing and exploring. Acknowledge they are feeling like this, try to distract them with something up your sleeve and if they are really causing a disturbance take them out for some fresh air!


Messing with food

What babies think: This food feels so good to touch, pull apart and make it into a hundred pieces. I love that if I squeeze it makes a squelchy noise and ozzes through my chubby fingers. If I spill some, I can make pretty patterns in it with my fingers and then rub it all over my face and hair. I wonder what happens if I throw it over the side?




Quick fix: Babies will make a mess when they eat as it is part of their development process and an important one too! Put a mess mat down, a full bib on baby and change them after a meal if need be. Try not to get cross and hung up and it will pass. If there is more playing than eating calmly take the meal away. Giving smaller portions can limit the damage.


Baby that only stops crying when you pick them up

What babies think: This cuddle is so lovely and warm. I can feel a soothing, steady heartbeat and I feel secure and safe. Hang on, what’s happening, I am getting scared! Where am I and where has my human cushion gone?

Quick fix: Babies need human contact; it is a basic human need. This is especially important for a new born in the fourth trimester. For nine months, they were warm, wet and constantly heard the steady thump of a human heart and then they were born and are expected to self- settle straight away. It not always practical to hold them all day but if you need to put them down, tell them what you are doing and give them plenty of reassurance. Just hearing your voice can settle a fretting baby. A sling is a great way for your baby to feel secure yet gives you your arms back.


Watch Born Founder Eva Fernandes' interview with Kerry Secker...


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment