Thursday 12 March 2015

Desert Island Babies - What would YOU Take?





You are shipwrecked on a desert island with your baby. Which five products would you take with you and which one luxury item? As part of the Born 15th Birthday celebrations, we asked Born Founders Eva and Georgina Fernandes about their Desert Island Baby necessities, and discovered it was a great exercise for really prioritising what you need to care for your baby!


Eva's Desert Island Baby Necessities:

1. A Baby Sling
This would be a necessity whether I was on an island or in the middle of civilization! Carrying my baby in a sling means that we'd be together all day, my baby would be safe as I wouldn't need to leave them, and I could still get on with building my shelter and other island tasks!


2. Organic Babygrows and vests
I would want to keep my baby out of the strong sun, so some gorgeously soft organic cotton baby clothes would be great to have. If I could only have one, I'd choose a babygrow, then I could cut the feet off and turn it into a romper suit as my baby grows!


3. Aden & Anais Swaddles
These are great because they would be soft against our skin, and would be perfect for swaddling the baby to make them feel safe and secure. They are also large enough that I could use them as sheets and bedding!





4. Muslins
Muslins would be really useful as I could use them for nappies, for wiping and cleaning, for giving shade to my baby...


5. Organic Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil has so many uses and benefits, and if we can't find any food, we could always eat it too! There might be coconuts on the island, but I'm not sure how to turn them into coconut oil!







Georgina's Desert Island Baby Necessities:


1. A Sheepskin Rug
This would be perfect for me and my baby to sleep on - beautifully soft, and it would help keep us cool during the day but would be nice and warm during cold nights! It would feel nice and secure for my baby, too!


2. Toiletries
Weleda Nappy Cream for the baby and Coconut Oil for both of us - perfect for any skin type and I could do baby massage with the oil, too! If I could only choose one, I'd choose the oil as it has so many uses.


3. David Fussenegger Baby Blanket
This would be a must have as these blankets are gorgeously snuggly and would be ideal for keeping us warm at night, for using as shade, as a play rug, as a makeshift towel or to wrap my baby... and if I take one that comes with it's own cover, it can be a toy or a hand puppet too!





4. Washable Nappies
Perfect for a desert island. I guess about 12 could see me through till potty training (if I was here that long).


5. A Wrap Sling
Totally comfy for me and my baby and completely practical too. I think walking along wearing my baby would be just bliss on a desert island!!




If you could take one additional luxury item, what would it be?

Eva:
Reusable Cotton Nappies - If we didn't have them, we could get by, but they're nice and comfy for the baby, and if we are there for a long time, we could use them for other things when the baby no longer needs them!

Georgina:
A wooden toy for the baby to play with and to chew when they were teething.






If you lose the all the items in the sea, which one of those products would you save from the waves?

Eva:
I'd rescue the Aden & Anais Swaddle, because I could use that for a blanket, for shade, for sleeping on or for turning into a sling to carry my baby!

Georgina:

I'd rescue the sheepskin rug as the benefits of the sheepskin are so safe and comforting for babies.



It's amazing that the answers given independently by Eva and Georgina were so similar! What would you choose? And if you could get rescued, would you choose to go or stay on your tropical island?!





No comments:

Post a Comment