Thursday 29 November 2012

When Science Backs Up a 'Mother's Inner Knowing'

I've never been a fan of 'cry-it-out' methods of getting your baby to sleep. They always felt wrong to me because I live by the the principle of 'if I wouldn't like it if it were done to me, I don't do it to someone else'. Based on that, I always felt that leaving my baby to cry itself to sleep at night just wasn't right.

It's only been in the last few years that there has been a lot of scientific research to back up what I felt was true. This research now confirms that there are long term implications in leaving your baby to 'cry-it-out'.  Interestingly, as mentioned in this video, one of the benefits that early attachment gives is the ability to have empathy with others, so perhaps, because my mum didn't practice 'cry-it-out' on me, this led me to feel the Attachment way was right for my kids?

But what if you don't have that 'inner knowing'?

If as a baby your mum followed what was the trend at the time and left you to cry, you may not have the ability to 'tune-in' to what you baby needs, so it maybe worth learning these skills via BabyCalm or Babiesknow.  These two great parenting courses not only teach you how to connect to your baby, but explain why this is so important.

If you are expecting your first baby, and are unsure about how you will be able to respond to your baby then the BabyCalm ante-natal workshops are a must for you and your partner, and the Relaxed Birth and Parenting Ante-natal classes will also be incredibly useful too.

Love, Eva

Watch the You-tube video here:

The role of attachment in infancy on later mental and physical health outcomes

If you want to know more about Attachment Theory watch this video:

Science Bulletins: Attachment Theory—Understanding the Essential Bond


4 comments:

  1. A mother who had to cry it out3 December 2012 at 09:37

    'But what if you don't have that inner knowing?'
    Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that the c.i.o method is cruel and unecessary, as a baby who did, I am utterly appalled that you think this 'might' mean I lack the empathy to connect with my baby. On the contrary, I am probably more aware than most that it was the wrong course of action and I do not blame my parents either... Further evidence of my ability to emphathise with the plight of the first time parent. Advising parents to go on a course suggests that you have no faith in new parents to do what is right for their baby. Shame on you for dashing what little confidence many new mothers have in their abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] the last plant I am going to speak of in the Pregnancy Joy Tea but certainly not the least is Alfalfa. Wow! this herb pushes its roots so far down into the earth [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] is safe and risk free for both you and your baby? I asked the ante-natal teachers and Doulas of Relaxed Birth and Parenting for their top natural tips for coping with morning [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. If a mother has little confidence then surely going on one of these courses would be useful? In fact despite knowing that I wasn't a CIO baby I would have loved to have gone on any of these courses had they been available when my 2 were babies as just knowing all they teach then would have been incredibly reassuring considering we live in a society that really doesn't acknowledge the long term implications and upset CIO can have.

    ReplyDelete