Thursday 7 February 2013

What does a Doula do? by Catherine Waters, Relaxed Birth & ParentingDoula

At each birth I attend, I'm reminded of this quote;

“It is by logic that we prove, but by intuition that we discover.” Henri Poincaré

I first heard the term Doula when I was newly pregnant with my third child. I did some research, and was struck by what a good idea it seemed, 'to mother the mother'.

I went on to have my third baby at home, a beautifully simple birth.



I was aware of the peacefulness in the room that day (having had talkative and distracted midwives in the past). And the absolute faith I had in my midwife, whom I'd been fortunate enough to get to know. She gently encouraged me to trust my intuition.

I knew that I wanted to help other women have the birth they wanted, to know the exhilaration I'd been lucky enough to experience.

Attending births as a Doula is both humbling and a great privilege. I have found every birth I've attended incredibly moving; the strength amongst the women is an ancient lore. You know that there is something bigger at work. The love and companionship I witness between the couples is inspiring, the love in the room is sometimes palpable

The strength of a labouring woman never ceases to amaze me. She looks like a little girl one moment and an invincible warrior the next. Her absolute truth, power and beauty are exposed. Her self.

My role is to reassure, to hold both emotionally and physically, to be kind and patient, respectful and supportive. I offer massage and I remind the mother that she has all she needs to birth her baby.

A good Doula needs patience, empathy, to be sensitive, but not over-sensitive; a labouring woman knows what she does and does not want! A Doula needs to be human, honest,considerate and reliable.

Post-natal support involves listening to the mother, hearing her birth story (repeatedly, if that's what she needs) offering herbal tinctures, tonics, nourishing food, foot massage.

It is my role to support with breastfeeding, to field visitors, ensure that the mother can rest and bond with her new baby. I put the flowers in water, do a little shopping, pick up prescriptions.

The comments I've had back is that my presence has been reassuring, familiar and calming.

I've been told that I helped instill confidence, explained medical procedures in layman's terms. That I was on “their side”.

In the words of Sheila Kitzinger; “it is not just continuity of care, but continuity of carer that's important”.

Catherine can be contacted at Contact: 07816 506 374 catherinewaters@blueyonder.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment